Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner has shown a lack of interest in answering questions from a growing number of Houstonians who are raising concerns about privacy and health issues related to the ongoing roll out of 5G, or Fifth Generation, cellular technology.
In July 2018, Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner stood side by side with Verizon Wireless officials to announce plans to roll out 5g technology in the city of Houston. The Mayor said 5G will turn Houston into a “smart city”, with better control of traffic flow, money-saving smart street lights, and driverless cars.
By late September, Mayor Turner was awarded the “5g Wireless Champion Award” by the CTIA, the wireless industry association, aka “Big Wireless”. The CTIA stated that, “Under Mayor Turner’s leadership, Houston has streamlined the permitting process by not requiring a license or attachment agreement for new poles or small cells, and completes review ahead of deadlines. “
On October 1st, Mayor Turner once again held a press event with officials from Verizon wireless. This time, the Mayor and Verizon CEO Hans Vestberg were on location at a Houston couples home as they installed 5G equipment and helped the young couple become “the world’s first 5g customer”. At this event Mayor Turner and Mr. Vestberg were both questioned about the health and privacy concerns which have been raised by scientists, doctors, journalists, activists, and security experts. Both Turner and Vestberg stated they were not aware of any health or privacy concerns.
Since that time concerned Houstonians have emailed the Mayor and City Council studies, reports, and articles related to the concerns around the 5G roll out. The few council members who did respond have not provided any details on whether the city conducted an Environmental Impact assessment or any health studies. The city officials have also not answered any questions regarding the potential for invasions of privacy.
To date, the Mayor and City Council have been made aware of the following points:
– A recent FCC ruling handed control of the 5g rollout over to the federal government, preempting local ordinances
– Michigan State Senator Patrick Colbert recently spoke out against the unprecedented roll out this new, untested technology
– Dr. Sharon Goldberg, a Medical Doctor certified in internal health, also testified to the Michigan State Senate regarding her concerns about the 5g roll out
– Connecticut State Senator Richard Blumenthal has called on the Commissioner of the Federal Communications Commission to provide documentation confirming statements regarding 5g safety
– the Washington DC Advisory Neighborhood Commissions issued a resolution regarding 5g health concerns
– Project Censored names report on danger of cell phones and wifi the 4th most censored story of 2018
– The American Civil Liberties Union released a guide for cities, “How to Prevent Smart Cities from Turning to Surveillance Cities”
After sharing all of the above info with the Mayor and City Council and receiving nothing but silence and arrogance, we are forced to ask,
Why won’t Mayor Turner respond to the concerns of the people of Houston?
Does the Mayor’s close relationship with the CTIA and Verizon have anything to do with his silence?
Contact: Derrick Broze, 713 909 0382